|Cook Time:||25 minutes|
1. CHEESE SAUCE
2. Melt the Dromona Butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and flour, stirring vigorously until a smooth paste forms.
3. Slowly and gradually add milk to the paste, whisking continuously until the sauce is smooth. Keep on a low heat and add mustard and nutmeg (if using).
4. Simmer gently (whisking frequently to prevent the sauce from burning) until thick with the consistency of a thick tomato sauce (approx 10 minutes).Remove the pan from the heat.
5. Add most of the cheese to the sauce and whisk until it melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little more milk.
6. Leave to rest at room temperature.
7. CROQUE MADAME MUFFINS
8. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter 2 x 6 cup jumbo muffin tins or ramekins.
9. Flatten the bread slices with a rolling pin. Brush each slice on both sides with melted butter
10. Gently press a slice of bread in each muffin tin cup and push it down.
11. Divide the ham and/or salmon among the muffin cups. Crack 1 small egg into each cup and spoon 2 tablespoons of cheese sauce on top of each egg. Sprinkle with the reserved Dromona Mature Grated Cheddar and black pepper.
12. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on personal preference for egg yolks.
13. Serve immediately.