Perfect for a drizzly Saturday at home. Enjoy creating these simple pizzas with the kids and, when the pizzas are cooked, enjoy eating them too!
|Preparation Time:||25 minutes|
|Cook Time:||20 minutes|
1. Make the topping for the tomato paste for the topping first. Heat a small frying pan, add the oil, onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the tomatoes. Season well, adding sugar. Cook for 8-10 minutes until thickened to a paste.
3. Preheat the oven to 230°C / 450°F / Gas 8. To make the base, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl. Pour in about 250ml (9fl oz) of the buttermilk and mix, using a fork, to make a soft but not too sticky dough. Add more of the buttermilk if you need to, or more flour if it gets too sticky.
4. Put the dough onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour. Knead briefly then divide into four. Form each piece into a ball and place it on a greased baking sheet. Flatten out with your knuckle each to a 15cm (6in) round.
5. Spread the tomato paste over each pizza, almost to the edge. Scatter with half the cheese, then the slices of sausage, the mushrooms, basil and lastly the rest of the cheese. Bake for 20minutes. Serve warm with salad.